Here are some indicators to help one spot possible foot infection:
- Smell especially around, on the surface of, or under suspected nail, skin or area (foul odour akin to rotten eggs or rotting cheese). Can be very pungent or sharp.
- Colour. Necrotic colour like black, or lighter shade of white within toenail. Can also be slightly brown or yellow brown, and greenish.
- Some oozing (especially puss can be observed).
- Nail thickening and accumulation of debris underneath.
- changes in skin consistency or texture.